A very big adjustment for me over the last few months has been water intake. We all know that water is good for us and necessary, but actually staying properly hydrated is more difficult than it sounds.
The human body is mostly water…..75% water in fact. This means that to function properly, we need to consume quite a bit of water every day. But what does water actually DO for the body?
- Helps regulate body temperature
- Moisturizes the air in our lungs
- Lubricates joints
- Flushes toxins from the body
There are LOADS of things water does for us…..these are just a few. Because water is so vital to keeping the body functioning properly, you can imagine the effects of dehydration (even at slight levels) can be pretty rough
- Dry Skin
- DEATH! If dehydration is greater than 20%
These days, drinking enough water can be a little tricky. We live in a soda, alcohol, coffee filled world and it’s easy to forget about the humble glass of water. Coffee is my favorite, and my mother drinks nothing but soda, so I know well that it takes planning and thought and care to make a requisite aqua quota. Here is what I suggest for making it to 3 liters a day. YES! THREE LITERS!
- Find a water bottle you can carry with you and that has good measurements on the outside. Take the quantity guess work out of what you are doing.
- Find a logging solution. Write down your quantities, use a counter app on your phone….whatever. Just get it recorded every time you finish a glass or a botttle full so you don’t lose track.
- Add a few drops of lemon and/or lime juice to a bottle of water. This was the biggest change maker for me, and killed all the soda cravings I had during the day.
- Add a couple of mint leaves or cucumber slices to a botttle of water. Adding a little flavor in a natural way like this will really make a difference.
The first few days of working toward the 3 liters is the toughest. After only about a week, you will most likely lose the craving for soda and other drinks plus the syrup used for soda will feel like a sticky coat on your tongue that is just nasty.
You may think “I cannot possibly drink that much water! I will drown” or “too much water is reported to be bad for you, so I cannot do this!” BUNK! Yes you can, and while too much water can be harmful…..”too much” is many gallons per day. When you reduce your fatigue, increase your energy, and your body starts to function more smoothly, you will realize that this is just the right amount of water.
2 thoughts on “My Heavens That’s a Lot of Water (Life Changer Post #3)”
I was just commenting tonight that I had a headache and realized that I hadn’t drank any water all day. Sure, I had two cups of tea, a smothie and a glass of coconut water but no honest-to-goodness water. I REALLY need to work on this one 🙂
It’s crazy what a lack of water does! You feel hungry, get headaches, you are more tired, cranky, and all sorts of things. THE MAGIC OF WATER!